Published on:

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning kills elderly woman in Miami

Bobby-Floyd--Wylene-Floyd-jpg.jpgAfter being alerted by the landlord that something was wrong, Paulette Campbell arrived at the apartment of her grandparents, Wylene and Bobby Floyd of Miami Gardens. Upon entering their home, she discovered the body of her grandparents. Wylene had already succumbed to carbon monoxide poisoning. Her grandfather Bobby was still alive, but needed immediate medical attention. Bobby was transported emergently to Jackson Memorial Hospital where his condition is unknown at the present time.

The Miami personal injury attorneys at Leesfield & Partners have led the legislative battle in the State of Florida which gave birth to a new law finally requiring that commercial buildings be equipped with CO detectors. More information on the Florida legislation pertaining to Carbon Monoxide exposure can be found here.

On average, 60,000 Americans suffer from carbon monoxide poisoning every year. The grave danger associated with carbon monoxide is the nature of the deadly gas itself. Carbon monoxide is odorless, colorless and slightly lighter than air. Undetectable to humans, it is highly toxic and can be deadly when leaked in high concentration.

Investigators who are still looking at the source of the carbon monoxide leak in the Floyd’s apartment were made aware by Paulette that a new gas stove had recently been installed in their apartment. Wylene was 77 years old.

When exposed for too long to a high concentration of carbon monoxide, the nervous system of a person is at risk of shutting down. At first, symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are similar to those of the flu, or food poisoning, which is why many people will not seek medical attention, thinking they have caught a cold or simply feeling nauseous.

blood_cells.jpgAt low levels of exposure symptoms of Carbon Monoxide poisoning can include shortness of breath, mild nausea, or mild headaches. At moderate of exposure, symptoms of Carbon Monoxide poisoning include severe headaches, dizziness, mental confusion, nausea, and fainting.

Visit our Carbon Monoxide Poisoning page to obtain more information on symptoms associated with CO exposure.

Recently, our Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Lawyer Thomas Scolaro resolved a complex case involving the carbon monoxide poisoning of a family vacationing in Key West. Should you have more information regarding the tragedy that struck the Floyd family today, contact the authorities immediately and do not hesitate to contact our firm at 305-854-4900.

Contact Information