Published on:

Fatal Electrocution of 7-year-old boy in North Miami likely caused by Code Violation

crClip_6.jpg7-year-old Calder Sloan was in his swimming pool with Gary, the son of his nanny, who was watching Calder and his younger brother Caleb in their home in North Miami Beach when the unthinkable happened. Gary felt a shock and jumped out of the water yelling for Calder to do the same. Calder did not hear him as he was swimming under water at the time. A split second later, Calder was thrown out of the water. Neighbors rushed to the backyard, performed CPR while getting zapped themselves.

Calder was rushed to Jackson North Medical Center, but the young boy could not survive the jolt of electricity that went through his body. The Miami Herald reported power source could have been as much as 120 volts.

crClip_5.jpgA photograph of the pool light showed rust and corrosion which further evidences an electrical circuit issue with the repairs. Calder’s father, Chris Sloan, told media that about nine months ago, he had an electrician fix the pool light which was not working properly.

crClip_7.jpgAn electrical inspection of the breaker box revealed that the light switch to the pool was not grounded properly, and that electricity was going directly into the pool rather than being diverted from it.

This tragedy is shockingly similar to the case Leesfield & Partners took on less than two years ago when 11-year-old, Ashton Jojo, was fatally electrocuted when she retrieved a golf ball from a pond obstacle while playing miniature golf at a resort in Central Florida. The inspection revealed that the pond’s electrical breakers were improperly installed and replaced. At the time, official investigators confirmed that the water feature in question was missing its ground fault interrupter (GFI) breakers, which are required by code.

To read more about the investigation and ensuing lawsuit in the Ashton Jojo tragedy, click the links below:

Electrocution suspected in death of 11-year-old – Latest Resort Tort Incident in Florida

Autopsy confirms electrocution caused the death of 11-year-old Orlando Resort guest

Code violation responsible for the fatal electrocution of 11-year-old guest at Central Florida Resort

Awareness of Florida Resort Torts heightened in fatal electrocution case of young child

Leesfield leads Resort Tort fight for family of electrocuted 11-year-old girl

Lawsuit Filed Against Orange Lake Country Club Following 11-Year Old Girl’s Electrocution Death

The authorities’ investigation continues to uncover the identity of the contractor and electrician who worked on the Sloan’s pool light. The work done one the Sloan’s pool about nine months ago requires that the contractor apply for a permit to the job, as it is required by the City of North Miami for any pool electrical work that is more complicated than simply changing a light bulb. Applying for a permit ensures that not only the job is done by a competent electrician, but also guarantees that an inspection by city officials is performed before the anybody is granted access to the pool itself, all in the name of safety. However, City building department records indicate that no permits were pulled or inspections were done at the Sloan home in the last twelve months.

While the investigation is ongoing, Calder’s family is preparing itself to celebrate the young boy’s life, who turned 7 last week. Donations to the Calder Jacob Sloan Legacy Fund can be made here, which will go to benefit Calder’s school, Lehrman Community Day School, where he was about to finish his school year as a first grader. The fund information can be found here: DONATIONS TO CALDER JACOB SLOAN LEGACY FUND. Services for Calder will take place Friday, April 18, at Temple Beth Sholom in Miami Beach.

Contact Information